Wednesday, October 15, 2014

I am Paul Baumer. I am a 19 year old soldier on the Western Front during World War I, every situation I encounter out here on the front has changed my life in ways I never thought it would. I think about what my life use to be like when I enjoyed poetry and had a close bond with my family. I now disconnect myself from everything in my past life, I can't talk to my family I once had so much love for about what I've seen or the bad things I have done. My only choice seems to be to disconnect myself from my previous life because the men in my unit are my family now. Kemmerich's death, and Kat's death and parting from my friend Kropp was very hard, but  "you get use to that kind of thing in the army." I've learned to disconnect myself from my emotions, it's easier that way. I feel like I'll never be able to escape this horrid place I've entered, I'll never get the life I had before the war back. I am now part of the lost generation.

No comments:

Post a Comment